THOMASVILLE, Ga., Jan. 11, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Flowers Foods, Inc. (NYSE: FLO) today announced it has signed two asset purchase agreements with Hostess Brands, Inc. as the "stalking horse bidder" for certain Hostess assets. One of the agreements provides for the purchase by Flowers of the Wonder, Nature's Pride, Merita, Home Pride and Butternut bread brands; 20 bakeries; and approximately 38 depots for a purchase price of $360 million. The other agreement provides for the purchase by Flowers of the Beefsteak brand for $30 million.
The transactions are subject to a court-approved bankruptcy process being initiated by Hostess. If Flowers' "stalking horse" bids are approved by the bankruptcy court, the bids would then be subject to a competitive auction process to be held several weeks from now. The company would expect to close the transactions shortly following court approval if it is selected as the winning bidder. The transactions also are subject to regulatory clearance.
Flowers Foods has previously stated its interest in acquiring certain Hostess assets should they become available. "This agreement is consistent with Flowers Foods' long-term growth objectives to reach significantly more of the U.S. population with its fresh breads, buns, and rolls," said George E. Deese, chairman and chief executive officer of Flowers Foods. "We believe these assets would enhance our ability, over time, to provide more U.S. consumers with quality baked foods at a good value through existing and new retail and foodservice customers."Based on the current bid price, Flowers Foods would expect the transactions to be accretive to earnings in 2013. Flowers Foods plans to finance the transactions through a mix of available cash on hand and debt.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV