13 Ways to Sell Your Home in 2013
By Teke Wiggin
As the housing recovery that began last year continues to gain steam into 2013, selling your home may become less of a headache.
But you can be sure of one thing: You're always likely to make the process easier if you use smart marketing tactics.
Some of them are givens: De-clutter your home for open houses, enhance your landscaping, etc. But there are also some underutilized selling methods.Culling tips from interviews with a variety of industry insiders, AOL Real Estate has compiled a list of some of the best of them, so learn 13 ways to sell your home in 2013. Don't Hide a Foible, Flaunt It Traditionally, sellers are told to play down any quirks to their homes. But that's not always the right move: Foibles could possibly suit the needs of some buyers. J. Philip Faranda, owner of J. Philip Real Estate in Briarcliff Manor, N.Y., says that it's even worth leading with a home's foible in some cases. He said that he helped one client sell his home by highlighting its oversized garage. "The garage bay was huge. The previous agency tried to de-emphasize the strange-looking garage," he said. "We took out an ad in a trucker magazine to find someone who needed a big garage bank."
Shoot a Walk-Through Video -- Without the Bells and Whistles In a marketing environment obsessed with new media, more sellers and Realtors are producing high-budget video tours. They feature artistic pans, classical music, even models. But that may be overdoing it sometimes, Faranda argues. In his experience, unvarnished walk-through videos shot with a digital camera strike a better note for many sellers. "It's real. What they see is what they should expect," he said. "People won't feel manipulated. They will gravitate towards something where it's really transparent.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV