Don't misunderstand what I'm suggesting here! Trailing stop alerts and having an exit strategy you can live with is not foolproof, as any fool will tell you. In an age of mini-flash crashes I've chosen to use TradeStops, which is an online service that helps me monitor my stocks and my trailing stops without the stock's market maker being able to see my order.
Plus, if a mini-flash crash happens to one or more of my stock positions, I won't be automatically sold out at a ridiculously low price only to see the price rebound right back to where it was in a "flash." I'm doing more independent research on this topic and hope to update you in the near future.
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real money portfolio for his charitable trust- enjoy advance notice of every trade, full access to the portfolio, and deep coverage of the latest economic events and market movements.
When it comes to Chevron the company, I fundamentally feel comfortable as a shareholder. After CVX's mid-term update report after the market closed Thursday, I'm as encouraged as before. Our research director at
TheStreet.com, Stephanie Link, and
At the time of publication the author had a position in CVX. Follow @m8a2r1
This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV