Wreck-It Ralph And The Development Of An Animated Epic
NEW YORK, Jan. 11, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The 2013 Academy Award nominations have been announced and Karen Foster with Entertainment News Line was able to discuss Wreck-It Ralph with animation artist and filmmaker Shannon McGee:
Wreck-it Ralph has been nominated for best animated feature. As the senior lighting artist on this picture, can you share any interesting challenges that occurred?
Shannon McGee: First off, I think the director, Rich Moore, needs to be commended. His fingerprints are all over Wreck-It Ralph. Without him the movie wouldn't be what it is. He kept the film focused, ensuring that the cartoony look was consistent and character performances were on point.
Rich may be a first-time feature animation director, but don't let that fool you. He's been directing, producing, (The Simpsons, Futurama), and working in many other aspects of animation production for years - the man knows what he's doing. Plus he voices Sour Bill, my favorite Wreck-It Ralph character!The movie was very challenging in scale alone. There are a lot of discreet locations (Game Central Station, Niceland and Sugar Rush, to name a few) that had to look and feel like distinct worlds or the film wouldn't have worked. They needed to be grand and believable, but also unique. Sugar Rush, with its otherworldly clothes and physically modeled translucent gumdrops, represents about 50% of the movie. We needed to create food that looked good enough that you wish you could actually eat it, and making computer-generated food look appetizing is difficult beyond belief! At one point, I found myself inspecting a sugar cube through my desk lamp, pondering its mysterious properties and trying to decide how to give it just the right shine.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV