It's just not for the reasons you might think.
A recent report suggests Wells Fargo secretly engages in the type of Wall Street trading activities in esoteric and risky products normally dominated by the likes of JPMorgan, Goldman Sachs (GS) and Bank of America (BAC).
The truth is Wells Fargo's trading skill is far more pedestrian and profitable than one might think: buying back its own stock.The nation's top mortgage lender may simply be effectively plying the very trading rules that its largest investor - Warren Buffett of Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A) - has long advocated. After disclosing a 48 million share buyback in fourth quarter earnings, Wells Fargo ended 2012 having repurchased roughly 120 million shares at an average price of $32.35. As the San Francisco-based lender petitions the Federal Reserve to increase its dividend payout above current levels, Wells Fargo investors are likely appreciative of the bank's near $4 billion in total 2012 stock buybacks, which came, on average, roughly 8% below current stock trading levels. Still, investors might want to see more by way of buybacks. Overall, Wells Fargo's share count didn't budge much in 2012 and buybacks basically offset share issuance for stock compensation. "
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV