NEW YORK (ETF Expert) -- Every year for the past three years, scores of pundits have predicted the demise of high-yield bonds. Reasons have included record low yields for the asset class, an imminent rise in interest rates, questionable balance sheets, recession, inflation and overvaluation.
In spite of gloomy forecasts, Morningstar revealed that high-yield bonds have averaged 10.5% annually over the past three years. Perhaps ironically, this fact in and of itself is causing many to recommend abandoning funds like SPDR High Yield Corporate Bond (JNK).
Granted, the Federal Reserve's bond-buying policies have inflated a Treasury bond balloon. Should the world lose confidence in the U.S., our currency or our economy, the balloon could deflate or burst, and that would send diversified high-yield corporates into a tailspin.
Of course, the very same occurrence would almost assuredly smack down everything on the income spectrum; price declines would occur in convertibles, preferreds and dividend stocks. In fact, an undesirably rapid rise in rates would probably hurt common stocks of all sizes and shapes, since the U.S. economy would fret the loss of consumer spending power.In other words, a massive sell-off in high-yield bonds is unlikely to occur in a vacuum. If and when the markets do not like this particular asset class, the event would be precipitated by one of two general scenarios:
Investors sell intermediate Treasuries and intermediate-term investment grade corporates, causing yield spreads to contract and all income producers to fall in price.
Investors sweat the global economy causing a sell-off in risk assets like common stocks; high-yield bonds would be dumped, though decline less than stocks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV