USW's Chemical Safety App Receives Award From DOL
PITTSBURGH, Jan. 11, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- A digital application developed by the United Steelworkers' Tony Mazzocchi Center was one of four winning entries in the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) Worker Safety and Health App Challenge.
The DOL sought entries from companies, educators, labor unions, and individuals across the country for software designed to educate the public about improving health and safety in the workplace. Submissions were designed for use on computers, web browsers, smartphones and social media platforms.
The USW's winning app allows users to search a material safety data sheets database for information on workplace exposure limits, health hazards, workplace controls, personal protective equipment, handling and storage, and emergency procedures related to hazardous substances. The union received a $6,000 prize."We are proud to be included among the worthy winners of this contest," said USW International President Leo W. Gerard. "But more than that, we're proud to be part of a group that works hard every day to make our workplaces safer and healthier." A panel of judges, including co-hosts of the popular Discovery Channel show "Myth Busters," Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman, selected winners of the top three awards, a $15,000 grand prize and two $6,000 prizes. A fourth "People's Choice Award" worth $3,000 was given to the entry that received the most public votes on the challenge website. The project was supported with funding from the Labor Institute and by grant number EPA 2 U45 ES06175 from the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS), NIH. Its contents are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of the NIEHS, NIH.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV