Cramer said he's siding with Piper's research, as Quiksilver has an inconsistent history of delivering on its promises, and any turnaround at the company will likely take time to bear fruit. The company is aggressively cutting costs but it also has a terrible balance sheet, he noted. Quiksilver also derives 35% of its revenue from Europe, which is a big number that won't likely turn around until later this year.
So for now, Cramer said Quiksilver can't even be considered a speculative stock as it needs more time to solidify its turnaround efforts.
Stock Super Bowl
For his "Mad Money Stock Super Bowl," Cramer pitted Bank of America (BAC) against Pulte Homes (PHM) to see which stock reigns supreme for 2013. Cramer said that based on votes he received on Twitter, Back of America was heavily favored to win this showdown.
Last year, Bank of America booked a solid 109% return, while Pulte rose by 188%. Since 50% of a stock's performance is based on its sector, Cramer took a hard look at both the banks and housing to help determine the winner. He said banks should have a great 2013, but the group is still hampered by lingering legal issues and new regulations that are still cloudy at best.The home builders, on the other hand, are getting ready for a multi-year boom, as home prices are finally stabilizing and new home formation is once again on the mend. Based on those facts, Cramer said the edge goes to Pulte. As for the companies themselves, Cramer said it's a draw. Both companies are equally hated on Wall Street, leaving a lot of room for upgrades. Both are also aggressively cutting costs, trying to firm up their balance sheets. Turning to valuation, Cramer said Bank of America is trading at 12 times earnings, which is a premium to its peers like JPMorgan Chase. Pulte, on the other hand, trades at 18 times earnings, which is still below its historical average.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV