NORWALK, Conn., Jan. 11, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Personal incomes dropped among a significant minority of primary care physicians, according to Physicians Practice 2012 Physician Compensation Survey. Almost 21% of survey respondents reported that their incomes dropped by more than 10% compared with 2011.
Information was gathered about personal income, practice overhead, practice outlook, and other financial issues from physicians in a variety of specialties—including primary care and pediatrics.
Summaries of responses from primary care physicians, which can be seen at Consultant Live, also found that:
- Almost 40% of primary care physicians and most pediatricians make less than $150,000 a year.
- The majority (60%) pay between $15,000 and $30,000 annually for malpractice insurance.
- These physicians have taken steps to boost their revenues, including taking on work outside their practice.
- Almost a third of those surveyed describe their practice's viability as "shaky," and report that they are working harder just to maintain their income. Another third say they practice is not growing significantly.
- Almost 21% of primary care physicians reported that their income was down by more than 10 percent in 2012, compared to 2011. Another 16% reported income drops of less than 10%.
- Fewer physicians than ever report being owners or partners of their own practices, as hospitals and health systems continue to seek market share through direct employment and practice ownership and smaller group practices consolidate.
Conversely, income for physicians in other specialties (eg, OB/Gyn, radiology) increased modestly in 2012. Forty percent of primary care physicians and a majority of pediatricians make earn less than $150,000 per year, while only 29 percent of OBGYNs and 10 percent of radiologists earn less than $150,000 annually.About UBM Medica USAddressing today' s healthcare information needs, UBM Medica US, delivers strategic, integrated communications solutions and comprehensive reach—online, in print, and via custom programs. Improving the effectiveness of healthcare through information and education, UBM Medica US provides unbiased clinical, practical, and business information for physicians, providers, payers, and patients around the world. Through journals, magazines, websites, online communities, drug databases, digital events, and other valuable resources, UBM Medica US also delivers comprehensive communication solutions for the pharmaceutical and related industries. Websites include CancerNetwork.com, ConsultantLive.com, DiagnosticImaging.com, MusculoskeletalNetwork.com, OBGYN.net, PhysiciansPractice.com, PsychiatricTimes.com and SearchMedica.com. UBM Medica US is part of UBM Connect – which provides marketing services across a number of communities, the largest of which are healthcare, medical device design and advanced manufacturing. UBM Connect also includes UBM Studios, the global leader in interactive digital environments. UBM Connect is a UBM plc company. For more information, visit http://www.UBMMedicaUS.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV