A 40-year-old mother from Davison, Mich., is starting off the New Year with renewed hope for her future.
Georgette Abdella is the winner of the Sallie Mae “It Pays to Repay” Sweepstakes. More than 7,000 customers entered the contest to win up to $25,000 to pay off their Sallie Mae-serviced student loans. Abdella was awarded $20,000 to pay off her student loans in full.
Sallie Mae created the contest to reward customers who made their education loan payments a priority. To be eligible, customers needed to be in good standing with a six-month history of the scheduled on-time loan payments.
“This contest celebrated all of our customers who successfully make on-time student loan payments,” said Patricia Nash Christel, vice president, Sallie Mae. “Ms. Abdella made a plan to successfully pay down her loans and worked hard every month to make payments. The payoff came sooner than she expected.”For Abdella, the prize is especially rewarding. She attended Mott Community College and later transferred to the nursing program at the University of Michigan-Flint. After Abdella withdrew from the program, she struggled to make payments on her loans. “I knew a degree would help me find a good-paying job that would make it easier to support my son,” Abdella said. “But, it was tough to be a single mom. I had to put my education goal on the back burner. It was a difficult decision, but I had to make it.” Abdella continued to work in the healthcare field while raising her son. She picked up a second job as a bartender to keep up with her loan payments. In addition, she enrolled in an automatic payment withdrawal program and received a reduced interest rate. “I had an excellent experience with the people at Sallie Mae,” she said. “I couldn’t have asked for better help. They got me back on track.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV