There's been plenty of speculation about what the social networker has up its sleeve. Facebook often saves its big announcements for the company's F8 developer conference, so this marks a departure from the company's usual strategy.
I suspect CEO Mark Zuckerberg and his team, now that Facebook is public, are trying to one up the tech industry, which is perfectly normal. It happens all the time. Companies try to schedule events around Apple (AAPL) product launches to gain exposure. It works, but not to the degree many would like. Facebook is different because it's a product more than 1 billion people use, so there's going to be a considerable attention focused on this event.
On to the event itself. What will Facebook announce? Zuckerberg has already talked about building a social search engine. "Search is interesting," he said at a
tech conference back in September. "We do on
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV