There's been plenty of speculation about what the social networker has up its sleeve. Facebook often saves its big announcements for the company's F8 developer conference, so this marks a departure from the company's usual strategy.
I suspect CEO Mark Zuckerberg and his team, now that Facebook is public, are trying to one up the tech industry, which is perfectly normal. It happens all the time. Companies try to schedule events around Apple (AAPL) product launches to gain exposure. It works, but not to the degree many would like. Facebook is different because it's a product more than 1 billion people use, so there's going to be a considerable attention focused on this event.
On to the event itself. What will Facebook announce? Zuckerberg has already talked about building a social search engine. "Search is interesting," he said at a
tech conference back in September. "We do on
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV