AP Interview: Poland To Press On With Shale Gas
By Monika Scislowska
WARSAW, Poland (AP) â¿¿ Poland will likely adopt a much-awaited law to regulate shale gas production this year, opening the way for the potentially lucrative sector to kick into gear, Treasury Minister Mikolaj Budzanowski said Friday.
Poland has been the most aggressive country in Europe in pursuing shale gas, a form of natural gas that is trapped in porous shale rock and requires new technologies to extract. It has been produced in the United States since late 1990s, but environmental activists say the extraction process â¿¿ called hydraulic rock fracturing â¿¿ is highly polluting.
International and Polish companies are exploring for the gas in Poland but are waiting for the new law â¿¿ which will regulate taxes on production, terms for starting business and distribution of gas â¿¿ before they commit to a longer-term strategy."Foreign companies are undoubtedly waiting for the final version of the law, which should be adopted this year and take effect in 2015," Budzanowski told The Associated Press in an interview. "It will certainly give a big impulse for intensifying gas exploration efforts in Poland." A preliminary draft of the new law, which was demanded by the European Union, calls for a combination of taxes totaling about 40 percent on financial gains made by shale gas producers. But companies say it's the details in the new law that matter. Without its finalization, they cannot plan ahead. "Companies are slowing down work and waiting to see whether the new law, especially the tax, will leave enough commercial space," said Pawel Poprawa, an expert on shale gas with The Energy Studies Institute in Warsaw. The government hopes shale gas will boost the economy, reduce dependence on Russian gas imports and cut energy prices. The State Geological Institute estimates Poland's shale gas deposits may secure production for at least 25 years.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV