Wells Fargo Shoots To Higher Profit, Revenue
When Deutsche Bank analyst Matt O'Connor asked if there were "other skeletons in the closet" in the mortgage unit, CEO Stumpf said he couldn't predict what might come up. But, he added: "I can tell you I am pleased that we are this far through the process and we have gotten a lot of big things behind us."
In an interview, Sloan acknowledged that legal and regulatory fees are unpredictable. He pointed to the bank's record earnings as proof that it could handle them.
"What we need to do is say, 'Look, we understand there are headwinds, some of them are legal and regulatory, how do we deal with them, how do we grow despite those?'" Sloan told The Associated Press. "Other institutions may not be able to address those as well as we can."
For the quarter, revenue rose 7 percent, to $21.9 billion, beating the $21.3 billion expected by analysts polled by FactSet. Wells Fargo increased its business in credit cards, wealth management and other units, and charged more in fees.The bank earned $4.9 billion after paying dividends on preferred stock, up 25 percent from $3.9 billion a year ago. That amounted to 91 cents per share, more than the 87 cents per share analysts were expecting, and up from 73 cents last year. Revenue and earnings were also up for the full year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV