5. Sokol's Low Blow
Say it ain't so, Sokol! We knew you were a shady character, but we didn't think you were this dark.
One-time Berkshire Hathaway (BRK-A) big shot David Sokol mocked his former mentor, Warren Buffett, last Friday, scorning the billionaire investor after regulators cleared him of any wrongdoing regarding the trade that led to his March 2011 resignation. Sokol, in case you've forgotten, was once Buffett's golden boy, as well as a leading candidate to succeed the octogenarian as chief of the $232 billion dollar holding company. He fell from grace, however, after it was revealed he personally bought a boatload of Lubrizol shares before pitching the chemical maker to Buffett as an ideal investment for Berkshire.
Buffett initially backed Sokol after the Lubrizol trade blew up in the press, saying Sokol's actions were not "in any way unlawful." Nevertheless, he eventually turned on his protégé after digging deeper into the details of Sokol's shenanigans."I will never understand why Mr. Buffett chose to hurt my family in such a way, but given that he is rapidly approaching his judgement
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV