Fun With Acquisitions for the Value Investor
Siegler went on to request that the board consider modifying the deal, so that current shareholders who wish to stay invested in Energy Solutions, may do so, while those that want to sell for $3.75 can cash out. We'll see where that goes.
Interestingly, Energy Solutions closed yesterday's trading at about 2% above the takeover price, indicating that some investors believe that the acquisition is not a done deal. This is supported by the fact that the company is actually able to seek new offers through Feb. 6.
ES data by YCharts
In 2008, Energy Solutions was a $27 stock that had fallen all the way to $1.50 this past June. Frankly, one of the company's major issues, and perhaps, one of the reasons the board is willing to accept $3.75 is the company's debt load, which stood at $815 million at the end of the latest quarter. There's significant cash and short-term investments on the books too, $232 million, or $2.58 per share. We'll see if any other potential acquirers believe that the equity is worth more than $3.75 per share. This could get interesting.
ES Cash and ST Investments data by YCharts
Stay tuned.At the time of publication the author is long Energy Solutions. Follow @JonMHellerCFA This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV