MINNEAPOLIS, Jan. 11, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Northern Technologies International Corporation (Nasdaq:NTIC) today reported its financial results for first quarter of fiscal 2013. Highlights of NTIC's financial and operating results include:
- NTIC's consolidated net sales increased 9.5% during the three months ended November 30, 2012 compared to the three months ended November 30, 2011. This increase was primarily a result of increased sales of Natur-Tec® products and ZERUST® rust and corrosion inhibiting packaging products and services.
- On September 1, 2012, NTIC increased its ownership interest in NTIC Asean, LLC, which is a holding company that holds investments in eight joint venture entities that operate in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), from 50% to 60% by contributing exclusive license rights and other intellectual property to NTI Asean in exchange for an additional 10% ownership interest. As a result of such transaction, NTIC's consolidated results for the three months ended November 30, 2012 include the results of NTIC Asean, LLC.
- Net sales of Natur-Tec® products increased 30.8% during the three months ended November 30, 2012 compared to the three months ended November 30, 2011. This increase was due to increased sales to Natur-Tec® distributors in the United States as NTIC has continued to strengthen and expand its U.S. distribution network.
- Net income attributable to NTIC decreased 59.4% to $389,622, or $0.09 per diluted common share, for the three months ended November 30, 2012 compared to $958,757, or $0.22 per diluted common share, for the three months ended November 30, 2011. This decrease was primarily the result of decreases in gross profits of NTIC's North American businesses as well as decreases in sales and earnings of NTIC's subsidiary in Brazil.
"In the first quarter of fiscal 2013, NTIC enjoyed a strong increase in top-line sales, as we began supplying several large new customers in both our ZERUST® Industrial as well as our Natur-Tec® businesses. In direct correlation to this sales growth, however, we also experienced greater than anticipated start-up costs as we were compelled to ramp up production on an exceptionally broad range of new products simultaneously. This lowered our margins and impacted our earnings during the first quarter, and we do not expect to see the full bottom- line benefit of these new business opportunities before the third quarter of this fiscal year," said G. Patrick Lynch, President and Chief Executive Officer of NTIC. "At the same time, overall revenues from our international joint venture operations remain stagnant," continues Lynch, "as the Euro zone's economic slowdown continues to negatively impact manufacturing not only in Europe, but also key countries that supply EU manufacturers, including Brazil, India and parts of Asia."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV