Market Tightens, With Mortgages Still Out of Reach for Many
The Movoto inventory data comes as other housing industry groups say housing affordability set historical records in 2012.
According to the Washington, D.C.-based National Association of Realtors, the NAR's Housing Affordability Index landed at 198.2 in November, the most recent month measured by the association.
That's up from 186 the year before, which set a record in its own right, the NAR reports.
"Although 2012 was highest on record, the excessively tight underwriting precluded many would-be homebuyers from locking in generational low interest rates," says Lawrence Yun, NAR's chief economist. "Rising home prices and a gradual uptrend in mortgage interest rates will offset improvements in family income, but 2013 likely will be the third-best on record in terms of household buying power.""A window of opportunity remains open for buyers who can qualify for a mortgage," he adds. One issue that could restrict housing affordability, and it's not a new one, is tight mortgage credit. Banks and mortgage lenders still aren't stepping up to the plate and making loans to otherwise solid borrowers. "A more sensible lending environment that makes it easier for other financially qualified buyers to get a mortgage would allow many more households to enter the market, boosting home sales as much as 10% to 15%," explains Gary Thomas, president of the NAR. That would really drive home prices up, the NAR says. With lower inventories already stoking the home value fire, the 2013 spring selling season should be as active a market as the housing industry has seen in years.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV