Jan. 11, 2013
/PRNewswire/ -- Following a buoyant year for
's MICE industry the Thailand Convention & Exhibition Bureau (Public Organization) or
is confident of continuing growth in 2013. MICE visitor numbers to
in 2012 reached 895,224, exceeding TCEB's target for the year.
market represents 65 percent of all MICE travelers. In 2013, TCEB rebrand and reposition to emphasize their services and drivers of success, focusing on the
and ASEAN+6 markets. In 2013 Thailand's MICE industry is expected to generate more than
US$ 2.1 billion
63.2 billion Baht
Mr. Thongchai Sridama, Acting President of TCEB
, disclosed that, "
's MICE industry is growing strongly despite the economic crises in
. The 2012 figures have exceeded our annual target of 750,000 MICE visitors in 2012, and are a clear vote of confidence in
as a cost-effective MICE destination. Last year we saw an increase of 19 percent above target to 895,224 MICE visitors, earning
79.8 billion baht
Overall, the MICE industry was responsible for 9.49 per cent of all tourism earnings in 2012, accounting for 0.58 percent of total GDP. Conventions contributed 33 percent, followed by corporate meetings and incentive travel, which contributed 25 and 24 percent, respectively. International exhibitions and trade shows accounted for 18 percent of total MICE revenues for 2012.
hosted a total of 7,382 MICE events, 6.84 percent up from 2011. However, the number of visitors grew by 19 percent, reflects TCEB's success in attracting mega-events to
. Last year, the average stay for overseas MICE visitors was 5.54 days, with an average contribution of
per person per day," Mr. Thongchai added.
In 2012 MICE travelers from
were largely responsible for the strong growth in
's MICE sector, representing 65 percent of all MICE travelers last year. National MICE statistics indicate that MICE visitors to
were dominated by 10 Asian countries-
"For 2013, TCEB's strategy for
will continue to focus on maintaining existing markets as well as expanding new target markets, particularly the ASEAN+6 market, which has a very high potential for growth. We are also in the process of reconfiguring and rebranding TCEB's own organization in order to drive growth and development of
's meetings and trade show business. We will also be modernizing the TCEB logo to reflect a new working paradigm that fosters creativity and innovation. We believe that this repositioning will help drive and develop the MICE industry, create new economic value and generate revenues for the country," added Mr. Thongchai.
TCEB's working paradigm is based on five concepts that serve as
Drivers of Growth
- Strategic Business Partner . TCEB has a major role in offering strategic direction to the MICE industry, supporting its sustainable growth and development through sector-level planning as well as consultation for individual companies.
- Creative Leadership (Thought Leader) – TCEB must provide industry leadership through its cutting-edge, creative ideas for MICE-industry development.
- Solution Provider – TCEB's private sector support for MICE operators must focus on addressing specific business challenges while contributing to organizational agility and long-term sustainable development of the sector.
- Business Connector – TCEB can play a unique supporting role in facilitating new partnerships among MICE operators as well as driving the establishment of strategic alliances across the region as well as globally. The strength, resilience and reach of such a network of strategic partners will provide a strong foundation to drive future competitiveness.
- MICE Capabilities Developer – TCEB will address the need for strengthening human resource capacity within the MICE industry by focusing on establishing standards, and by enhancing the potential and calibre of MICE industry professionals.
TCEB's new organizational identity has modified the original logo to represent 3 key organizational pillars - growth, creativity and commitment to success. The new colour scheme uses yellow to convey the power of growth, prosperity and the power of the intellect, while blue represents unlimited inspiration, creativity and innovation.