Japan's Nikkei Jumps On Abe's Stimulus Package
In France, the CAC-40 edged up 0.1 percent to close at 3,705, while Germany's DAX rose the same rate to 7,716. The FTSE index of leading British shares moved up 0.3 percent at 6,122.
Wall Street struggled to find a direction. By midday, the Dow Jones industrial average was up 0.1 percent to 13,483, while the broader Standard & Poor's index dropped 0.1 percent to 1,471.
Earlier in the day, the Nikkei closed 1.4 percent higher at 10,801.57.
But not all Asian markets rallied, hemmed in by concerns about inflation in China. Hong Kong's Hang Seng fell 0.4 percent to 23,264.07. South Korea's Kospi lost 0.5 percent to 1,996.67. Australia's S&P/ASX 200 shed 0.3 percent to 4,709.50. Benchmarks in Singapore and mainland China also fell while those in the Philippines and New Zealand rose.Amid persistent concerns about the health of the world economy, energy prices fell. Benchmark oil for February delivery was down 64 cents to $93.18 per barrel in electronic trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange. Still, the euro was holding its own, rising 0.7 percent to $1.3354 after the European Central Bank's decision Thursday to leave its interest rate at the record low of 0.75 percent. In a press conference, ECB President Mario Draghi said the eurozone economy should start to grow again later this year. ___ Pamela Sampson contributed to this report from Bangkok.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV