DETROIT (TheStreet) -- Headed into the 2013 Detroit Auto Show, the auto industry is in a good mood, reflecting three years of rising sales and expectations for a fourth year of growth.
Even in a bad year, nothing cheers up the auto industry like the Detroit Auto Show, 2009 notwithstanding. The cameras flash, the reporters congregate and the executives are on comfortable turf, particularly because the Detroit show is geared toward them, rather than toward a particular region, as the Los Angeles show is geared towards California's secessionist auto buying tendencies.
Media days are Monday and Tuesday, and thousands of reporters from throughout the world will descend on Detroit to see the new cars and chat with auto industry executives from around the world. By the way, if you know of an available hotel room in downtown Detroit, let us know -- we are staying out by the airport. This is because it never occurred to us back in 2010 that what we should be doing is booking a downtown Detroit hotel room for next week.
As for the vehicles that will dominate the news at the show, the information about some of them is as hard to come by as a downtown hotel room.For instance, Ford (F) is expected to unveil a concept for the 2015 F-150, which is important because 2013 is shaping up to be the year of the pickup truck. But so far Ford has had nothing to say on this topic. In assembling our list of the six hot cars at the auto show, we talked with Edmunds.com Automotive Editor Ed Hellwig. This is what we know, so far.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV