Moody's Downgrades Cyprus Deeper Into Junk
"Our analysis indicates that the debt, despite being at such high levels, is manageable and under the conditions which we describe can be viable," he told reporters.
Moody's said that although there's strong political will among Cyprus' partners in the 17-member group that uses the euro not to repeat the kind of writedown that was allowed for Greece to get its own spiraling debt under control, the sheer size of Cyprus' debt burden will compel the country's authorities to consider such a move.
Cypriot authorities have so far ruled out any such a debt writedown or "haircut," arguing it would do more harm than good because most of Cyprus' debt is held by the country's own banks. A writedown would therefore raise the banks' recapitalization needs â¿¿ and by extension the country's debt â¿¿ even higher.
Euro area countries will deal with Cyprus' bailout during a Jan. 21 meeting.Last month, ratings agency Standard & Poor's also slapped Cyprus with a two-notch downgrade to CCC+ over similar fears that the country could default on its debts.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV