This account is pending registration confirmation. Please click on the link within the confirmation email previously sent you to complete registration. Need a new registration confirmation email? Click here
Jan. 10, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Governor Tom Corbett thanked
Pennsylvania's congressional delegation for their efforts to obtain federal disaster relief in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, adding that many are still waiting for federal assistance.
"Pennsylvanians are still suffering from the impacts of Hurricane Sandy. Yet
Pennsylvania is the only mid-Atlantic state which has not yet received major disaster assistance from the federal government,'' Corbett said.
Pennsylvania's congressional delegation for its willingness to work with my administration to secure much-needed federal disaster assistance for the citizens of this commonwealth. We are hopeful that this bi-partisan effort will bring
Pennsylvania's citizens and local governments the assistance they deserve."
On Wednesday, Corbett sent letters to Sens.
Pat Toomey and
Robert P. Casey Jr., as well as Reps.
Louis J. Barletta,
Michael G. Fitzpatrick,
Patrick L. Meehan and
Robert A. Brady.
In the letter, Corbett noted that
Pennsylvania residents took appropriate measures to prepare for the storm and mitigate its impact, after consulting with the president and the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
"State and local governments undertook significant protective measures which, while necessary, strained already overburdened state and local resources,'' Corbett said. "Though the numbers cannot be precisely qualified, the protective measures taken undoubtedly saved lives and property.''
Corbett asked the president for major disaster assistance for
Pennsylvania to help with the impact from Hurricane Sandy on
Dec. 5, 2012. To date,
Pennsylvania has not received the assistance requested.
To read the entire letter, visit
Ruth A. Miller, PEMA, 717-651-2009
SOURCE Pennsylvania Office of the Governor