FDA Advisory Committee Recommends Approval Of Canagliflozin For Treatment Of Adults With Type 2 Diabetes
Canagliflozin was generally well tolerated. It has specific safety and tolerability issues that were well characterized in this development program (such as the genital mycotic infections, urinary tract infections) and can be well managed by the physician, and for some of these issues by the patient.
Janssen presented data from Phase 3 studies at the American Diabetes Association ( ADA) in Philadelphia in June, at the European Association for the Study of Diabetes ( EASD) in Berlin in October, and at the World Congress on Controversies to Consensus in Diabetes, Obesity, and Hypertension ( CODHy) in Barcelona in November.
The FDA will consider the advisory committee recommendation in its review of the New Drug Application (NDA) for canagliflozin that was submitted by Janssen on May 31, 2012, though the FDA is not bound to follow it.
Janssen and its affiliates have rights to canagliflozin through a license agreement with Mitsubishi Tanabe Pharma Corporation. Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and its affiliates have marketing rights in North America, South America, Europe, the Middle East, Africa, Australia, New Zealand, and parts of Asia.About Type 2 Diabetes The ADA estimates that 26 million Americans have type 2 diabetes. Type 2 diabetes is a chronic condition that affects the body's ability to metabolize sugar, or glucose, and is characterized by the inability of pancreatic beta cell function to keep up with the body's demand for insulin. In most people with type 2 diabetes, obesity causes resistance of the body to the action of insulin, and if the pancreatic beta cell cannot produce enough insulin, hyperglycemia and type 2 diabetes ensue.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV