The payment processor and credit card lender also announced fourth-quarter charges totaling $153 million, for "cardmember reimbursements for various types of transactions dating back several years. This amount deals with fees, interest and bonus rewards as well as an incremental expense related to the consent orders entered into with regulators last October."
The charges totaled $594 million after taxes and American Express said that its fourth-quarter net income was $637 million, or 56 cents a share, declining from $1.250 billion, or $1.09 a share, in the third quarter, and $1.192 billion, or $1.01 a share, in the fourth quarter of 2012.
Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters on average estimated that the company would earn $1.06 a share in the fourth quarter. Excluding the special items, American Express said that its "fourth quarter adjusted net income was $1.2 billion, or $1.09 per share."The company reported total fourth-quarter revenue of $8.1 billion, meeting the consensus estimate, however, if the card-member reimbursements were backed-out, fourth-quarter revenue would have totaled $8.234 billion, beating the estimate and increasing from $7.778 billion in the fourth quarter of 2011. Shares of American Express were up 1% in aftermarket trading, to $61.45. During a conference call Thursday afternoon, America Express CEO Kenneth Chenault said that the preannouncement of the layoffs was done for "greater transparency," and that the company would "save a more detailed discussion for next week." American Express will announce its full fourth-quarter results on Jan. 17. Interested in more on American Express? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV