Professional and Living With ADHD: Ask Noah
I understand your concerns over taking regular medication. If your doctor hasn't mentioned medication, do not be overly concerned at this time. If medication is eventually suggested, talk with your doctor at length about your fears and ask about all available treatments.
There's no problem in seeing a psychotherapist, talk therapy is a win-win situation. I'd advise you to go into therapeutic treatment much like you go into life: eyes wide open and feeling in control.
Be honest, upfront and state that you believe your "symptoms" are part of who you are and what you feel makes you successful. Find a therapist who offers behavioral coaching from a psycho-educational perspective.
You will learn some relaxation and stress management techniques, and may actually improve on your organizational strategies, as well as enhancing your focusing capabilities.Think of treatment as a tune up! The goal is to channel your innate skills so that they can be used in the most productive fashion possible both at home and in the office. Lastly, do not give too much weight to your diagnosis. Having a "title" for your issues doesn't make them more important. You've gotten to know yourself well and you're your own best advocate. Seeing a therapist to advise you on dealing with a collection of symptoms will only aid in that process; nothing more, nothing less. Keep me posted on your treatment decisions. I wish you the best of luck. Thanks folks. Continue sending all of your questions and comments to ASK NOAH at email@example.com. Have a profitable and peaceful week, Noah This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV