Aetna (NYSE: AET) and Brown & Toland Physicians (BTP) today announced a new accountable care organization (ACO) model of health care that is designed to improve the quality of care for Aetna members and lower health care costs. Members in an Aetna preferred provider organization (PPO) and Managed Choice (MC) plan and who receive care from Brown & Toland primary care doctors became part of this program on January 1, 2013.
“We look forward to working with Brown & Toland to provide a new level of coordinated care for our members,” said Mark Reynolds, Aetna’s local president for Northern California. “This program is another example of how Aetna is working with health care providers to promote higher quality care, greater coordination, a better patient experience and lower health care costs.”
As part of the program, Aetna and Brown & Toland agreed to a new payment model that supports doctors in assuming greater accountability for the quality and cost of Aetna members’ overall health care experience.
Aetna will reward Brown & Toland doctors for achieving quality and efficiency measures, including:
- The percentage of Aetna members who received recommended preventive care and screenings;
- Improved management of members with chronic health conditions;
- Reductions in hospital readmission rates; and
- Reductions in emergency room visits.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV