If you’re into what’s “in” when it comes to interior paint colors, just look outside in 2013. The greens and blues that characterize the world outdoors are the same hues that will be popular when beautifying our living spaces this year, according to Debbie Zimmer, paint and color expert for the Paint Quality Institute.
“It’s fitting that green is expected to be one of the top paint colors used to refresh and renew the interiors of homes and buildings,” says Zimmer. “Green has always been symbolic of new life. Only now, it will be giving new life to tired interiors.”
That’s not to say, however, that the “pure” green we see on the color wheel will be the people’s (or designer’s) choice. With the growing complexity and sophistication of the palette offered by most paint companies, “green” today refers to an extremely wide spectrum of hues.
To visualize the options, think of the many colors that appear in a garden or grove of trees: apple, asparagus, celery, fern, honeydew, lime, mint, olive, and willow may come to mind. Wherever you buy your paint, you’ll likely find some tints and shades of green named after such familiar flora.“Then there are the greens that gravitate toward blue, which just happens to be projected as the other popular paint color this year,” said Zimmer. “Bluish-greens like teal, turquoise, aquamarine and cyan are expected to be hot designer choices. By selecting one of these hybrid colors, you can in a sense co-opt both of the trendy color choices.” That’s not to say we won’t see a lot of true blues this year. We will. And many will be drawn right from mother nature: lighter tints such as sky blue and robin’s egg to darker shades like slate, navy and midnight blue. . . and everything in between.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV