Opponents Seek To Derail Montana Coal Line
"They are trying to fast-track this with minimal analysis," he said. "That's why they didn't disclose the full purpose of the railroad. The route now points like an arrow to the West Coast."
Railroad attorneys wrote in their application that the railroad "has the potential to transport additional coal from the considerable coal resources that are located (in the area) and will service any mines developed in the area."
They added that there are no known mines in the works at present beyond Arch's planned Otter Creek Mine.
The Surface Transportation Board on Tuesday announced it had accepted the railroad proposal for consideration. Agency spokesman Dennis Watson could not immediately say Thursday what bearing that action could have on the petition from opponents.First proposed in the 1980s, backers of the railroad struggled for years to line up financing until being bought out in 2011 by BNSF Railway Co., Arch Coal, Inc. and candy-industry billionaire Forrest Mars, Jr. Last month, the co-owners unveiled a new route for the line, through Colstrip instead of Miles City. BNSF, which would operate the line, said the Colstrip route would have fewer impacts than the original route through Miles City. In separate proceedings involving Otter Creek, Montana regulators will host three public meetings next week to establish the scope of the state's environmental review for the mine. Meetings are scheduled on Jan. 16 at 6 p.m. in Broadus and on Jan. 17 at 2 p.m. in Ashland and at 6 p.m. in Lame Deer. __ Surface Transportation Board: www.stb.dot.gov Montana Department of Environmental Quality: www.deq.mt.gov
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV