According to "preliminary information on certain aspects" of the company's fiscal fourth-quarter performance, Nokia estimates that its Devices & Services division has "exceeded expectations and achieved underlying profitability" in the last quarter.
It attributes this achievement to its mobile phone business unit and Lumia phone portfolio, in particular, which delivered better-than-expected results. Nokia adds that lower operating expenses helped the situation as well.
Officially, Nokia reported mobile phone net sales of approximately 2.5 billion Euros ($3.26 billion) which comes out to 79.6 million handsets. Of those phones, 9.3 million were Nokia's low-cost line of Asha models, not sold in the United States.Lumia branded phones run on Microsoft's (MSFT) Windows Phone operating system, while Asha phones use a simplified platform called Nokia OS, which is based on its previous Series 30 and Series 40 operating systems. According to its latest numbers, Nokia estimates that its Devices & Services non-IFRS (International Financial Reporting Standards) operating margin for its fiscal fourth quarter was "between break even and positive 2 percent" which is much better than what had been projected for the same period - "negative 6 percent". --Written by Gary Krakow in New York. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV