Allowing concealed carry removes the certainty for killers that they may wreak havoc unabated until other guns arrive to stop them. You can't get around the fact that the solution to stopping a killer is using more guns to restrain them. The other guns are usually carried by police, but not always.
Once we all agree that adding more guns into a gun free zone can stop a killer, it's a short step to agree that if killers believe some of the staff may have firearms, potential criminals will be less as likely to target those areas. Think about this, we have had many mass shootings in victim zones (gun free zones), but we haven't had mass shootings at gun ranges.
If guns really are the problem, one would reasonably expect more shootings at gun ranges and less in gun-free zones. The opposite is true because one is a very scary place to go on a killing spree, and the other isn't.
It's not a coincidence, and if you really want to protect children like I do, you will let the evidence speak for itself. When the right people are not restricted in carrying a gun, the location is safer.At the time of publication, the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @RobertWeinstein This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV