Notably, sources familiar with the company's layoff plans said the latest round of cuts will be focused on "senior employees", indicative of the investment bank's desire to cut both pay and jobs.
News of Loeb's Morgan Stanley purchase was buried on Wednesday, with his battle with activist investor Bill Ackman over Herbalife taking center stage.
However, as CLSA analyst Mike Mayo noted in a Bloomberg Television interview Thursday morning, Dan Loeb's taking a stake in Morgan Stanley is a 'seminal event'. Mayo argues that activist investors who push for change can do more than regulations. "We need more Dan Loeb than we need regulators."
Morgan Stanley incidentally reports on Monday and investors can expect the focus to be on cost cuts and other restructuring efforts.--Written by Shanthi Bharatwaj in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV