NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Cloud is the first computing revolution created in the era of open source.
While Amazon.com (AMZN) has proprietary advantage in the Application Program Interface used for its EC2 cloud, and while VMware (VMW) has proprietary advantage in its vSphere virtualization system, most of cloud computing runs on open source.
Open source idealism is infused throughout the cloud computing industry. This makes profit harder to come by as the benefits of open source flow naturally to users rather than bankers or salesmen. It means that if you're in the cloud computing business, you need to tread lightly, keeping your knife in your boot rather than on your belt.VMware and Red Hat (RHT) are now learning this the hard way as they battle over an open source project called
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV