NEW YORK (TheStreet) - Can you name all eight Monopoly game tokens?
The decades-old pieces which represent you when you play? Think of what might have been found on a young girl's charm bracelet back in the 1930's. Especially the bracelet worn by the game inventor's niece.
If you said "Battleship", "Dog" (actually a Scottie), "Iron", "Race Car", "Shoe", "Thimble", "Top Hat" and "Wheel Barrow" you're absolutely right. At least for now.
That's because Hasbro (HAS) has announced that it's retiring one of those ancient symbols of life in the United States and replacing it with something a little more modern. The company has devoted a Facebook (FB) page to determining which old game piece goes. You have a month to register your vote.Hasbro isn't letting on what might be replacing the retiring game piece. Reportedly in the running are a cat, a diamond ring, a guitar, a robot, a helicopter, a smartphone, a desktop or a tablet computer. While most of the current tokens were introduced when Parker Brothers first began selling the board game nearly 80 years ago there have been other changes over the years. For instance, the original versions also came with a lantern, a pocketbook, a cannon and a rocking horse. Wooden tokens replaced the metal ones during World War Two and a horse with rider came along in the 1950's. You only have a short time to make your preference known. That's because Hasbro has already announced that a limited, $15.99, "Golden Ticket" version of the game will be released on Feb. 15 and sold exclusively in Target (TGT) stores. The box will include all of the old game tokens as well as all of the new ones. It's a great promotion for Hasbro. --Written by Gary Krakow in New York. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV