NEW YORK (TheStreet -- Debra Borchardt: What started as a joke seemingly now the politicians have grabbed hold of and that is the trillion dollar coin idea. Jim, it was passed around on the blogospheres.
Jim Cramer: Right.
Debra Borchardt: A lot of bloggers were talking about it truly as a joke, and then a politician picked it up and said, "Hey, maybe we could do this."
Jim Cramer: It's funny.Debra Borchardt: How did we get to this point? Jim Cramer: Well, look. I was on The Good Wife. We were talking about Bitcoin, and I didn't know that existed. Suddenly Bitcoin is great currency. These are crazy times. When I hear the number trillion, I always want to boil it down and what it says to me. Let's say your household. You owed $100 thousand and you're making $20 thousand. Well then, wait a second, it looks like you're going to have to borrow more than they're going to let you. Trillion is the new billion. There was this senator, Senator Dirksen, when I was growing up. Said billion here, billion there, next thing you know, it ends up being a lot money. Well, now it's trillion here, trillion there, and it's adding up to a lot. So I like the idea that it's something that's talked about in the context of, what the heck is going on in Washington? But it's silly, and what we really need is spending cuts. We've got tax increases, and we need spending cuts, and I was joking with my friend Matt Horween, who writes for The Street, that people think I'm a Republican. Before they thought I was a Democrat, because I wanted taxes to go up. I wanted taxes to go up but spending to go down to get it so the trillion dollar coin would never be mentioned, but there it is. It's on the table, and Steve Colbert's been joking about it, and all I can say is, you want to get rid of the trillion dollar coin? Start cutting trillions of dollars out of the budget.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV