Molycorp Shares Plunge 25 Pct On Weak Outlook
GREENWOOD VILLAGE, Colo. (AP) â¿¿ Shares of Molycorp Inc. lost a quarter of their value Thursday after the miner said its 2013 revenue would be lower than expected, citing production delays and weak prices.
The company, which is based in Greenwood Village, Colo., produces rare earth minerals that are used in a wide variety of applications, including consumer electronics and hybrid and electric vehicles.
Molycorp said that operations at its Mountain Pass, Calif., facility have begun, and the mine is expected to be able to produce 19,050 metric tons annually by the end of June. The company originally expected to hit that production rate by the end of 2012.
But based on that revised schedule and drops in prices of rare earth materials, Molycorp said it expects its revenue and cash flow for 2013 to be lower than expected. The company said it's also evaluating its capital needs for 2013.In addition, Molycorp said that it won't go forward with phase two of the project, which would double its production capacity, until market demand, prices, capital availability and financial returns justify higher production. Molycorp shares tumbled $2.66, or 25 percent, to $8.13 in morning trading. The shares tumbled in 2012, losing about 61 percent of their value.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV