While the proposed deal is significant for Supervalu, it also means Cerberus won't buy the supermarkets chain whole.
Cerberus will buy Supervalu's Albertsons brand and its Acme, Jewel-Osco, Shaw's and Star Market food stores, in addition to the company's Osco and Sav-on pharmacies.
Cerberus won't be acquiring all of Supervalu, and after the closing of the deal, the supermarkets chain will remain publicly traded. A set of financial transactions accompanying the deal may help alleviate Supervalu's debt burdens.The deal, which also includes Kimco Realty Corporation (KIM), Klaff Realty, Lubert-Adler Partners and Schottenstein Real Estate Group in the buying consortium is structured in multiple parts and will keep Supervalu as a publicly traded company with remaining supermarkets businesses. Cerberus and the investor consortium will buy Supervalu's Albertson's brand for $100 million in cash and approximately $3.2 billion in debt. The group will also take a 30% stake in Supervalu's remaining shares at a price of $4 a share. The investor group will, at minimum, own nearly 20% of Supervalu's stock, according to the press release. Supervalu shares rose over 12% to $3.42 in early Thursday trading. According to a press release announcing the deal, Supervalu will remain a large food wholesaler, with 1,950 stores nationwide spread across its Cub, Farm Fresh, Shoppers, Shop 'n Save and Hornbacher's. Those stores, Supervalu says, are expected to generate $17 billion in annual revenue, in a move to focus on "right-sizing operations and maximizing efficiencies across the
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV