- Offered in 120GB, 240GB, 480GB and 960GB capacities
- First terabyte-class drive available for under $600
- Utilizes Micron 20nm MLC NAND flash with a SATA 6Gb/s controller and Micron custom firmware
- Includes hardware-based encryption, data protection against unexpected power loss, and an adaptive thermal monitoring system
- Available in 2.5 inch, mSATA, and M.2 form factors for standard computing and next-generation ultrathin devices
BOISE, Idaho, Jan. 10, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Micron Technology, Inc. (Nasdaq:MU) today introduced the M500 solid state drive (SSD), featuring terabyte-class capacity, new ultra-slim package designs, and increased response times at a more affordable price point. Available to consumers, businesses, and system builders under the Crucial ® brand, and to OEM customers under the Micron ® brand, the new M500 SSD is built start-to-finish by Micron, providing the quality and reliability that only a NAND flash memory and SSD manufacturer can provide. Watch this behind-the-scenes video to see how Micron designs and builds SSDs.Benefits of Advanced NAND Flash Technology The M500 SSD utilizes Micron's award-winning, 20-nanometer (nm) multilevel cell (MLC) NAND flash to achieve terabyte-class capacity and enable a new level of SSD price competitiveness; the 960GB Crucial M500 SSD will be initially priced under $600. Micron's advanced NAND flash technology also provides more storage in a small footprint. Micron is the first manufacturer to pack nearly half a terabyte of storage onto an SSD module the size of a stick of gum (80mm x 22mm). This new form factor, called M.2, along with the mSATA form factor, are key designs for current and next-generation ultrathin computers, including Ultrabook™ devices, tablets and convertible PCs. Visit micron.com/ultrathin to discover how Micron SSDs can transform the ultrathin experience. SSD Performance Dramatically faster than a hard drive, the M500 SSD enables lightning fast boot-up, near instant wake from sleep, and fast application loading, creating a dynamic and engaging computing experience. The M500 SSD uses a SATA 6Gb/s controller combined with Micron's custom firmware to deliver up to 80,000 input/output operations per second (IOPS). The drive's sequential read and write speeds reach up to 500 MB/s and 400 MB/s, respectively. 1 "The M500 SSD is a reliable storage solution featuring nearly instantaneous system response times and terabyte-class capacity—all at a competitive price point," said Glen Hawk, vice president of Micron's NAND Solutions Group. "For consumers, the Crucial M500 SSD is an easy, cost-effective solution for dramatically increasing system performance. For OEMs, we're ultrathin ready with the Micron M500 SSD—improved response times, lower power consumption, and trusted reliability —all in a design that's smaller than ever before."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV