Listen, at this point, this is back-of-the-envelope dreaming that I intend to flesh out in future articles. But, it kicks off a larger point -- Whole Foods needs to do more to stay competitive long-term. It owns a lifestyle consumer today -- quite impressively -- but that could change in a flash. It needs to be more like Starbucks from tech and aggressive-strategic growth standpoints.
I also understand that messing with the Trader Joe's concept would upset a lot of people. We're passionate about these specialty, gourmet grocery stores. But, trust me, Trader Joe's diehards will get over it. They all shop at Whole Foods anyway (even if they say they don't) and they're the same people who claim to hate Starbucks while sipping a grande, extra-hot, double, skinny, no-foam latte with a shot of peppermint.
--Written by Rocco Pendola in Santa Monica, Calif.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV