Will the shares continue to rise? Maybe, but this isn't my typical type of long term investment. I don't know why Ackman and Tilson believe a profit target of zero is realistic anytime soon, and if they don't believe it's going to happen soon, why didn't they cover at least part of their short while the price was under $30?
These guys have been around long enough to have watched their share of dead cat bounces and bear rallies to know a move from under $30 back up to $40 was a realistic possibility. If they didn't act on that, what other miscalculations are happening? Loeb hasn't illustrated anything but perfect timing so far, and if his luck continues, he is going to slap Ackman upside the head in a way that Herbalife's CEO Johnson would love to do himself.
At the time of publication the author is long HLF. Follow @RobertWeinstein
This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV