Kenshoo 2012 Global Online Retail Holiday Shopping Report: Online Retailers Grew Revenue From Paid Search 36 Percent
SAN FRANCISCO, January 10, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
Kenshoo, the global leader in premium digital marketing technology, today unveiled the Kenshoo 2012 Global Online Retail Holiday Shopping Report. The research presents aggregate search engine marketing data and analysis culled from more than 24 billion paid impressions and clicks on Google, Yahoo!, Bing and other global search engines during the holiday season.
"Smart retailers capitalized on increased online consumer shopping activity this past year by proactively creating product-level search campaigns and optimizing them throughout the holiday season," said Aaron Goldman, chief marketing officer at Kenshoo. "Overall, retailers using Kenshoo drove big gains in paid search revenue and increased return on ad spend (ROAS), an impressive feat considering heightened competition and rising costs."Globally, the average paid search cost per click (CPC) rate increased 11 percent year-over-year (YoY) to $0.48. Clicks increased 23 percent and converted at a rate 25 percent higher than 2011, helping produce considerable YoY growth in revenue from paid search. In the United States, revenues driven by paid search increased 23 percent YoY. Mobile phones generated more than 20 percent of paid search clicks, more than triple the year prior. Meanwhile, tablets generated eight percent of U.S. paid search clicks and ad spend while delivering six percent of total conversions and nearly seven percent of revenue. Google's Product Listing Ads (PLAs) experienced spikes in ROAS on Black Friday and Cyber Monday in the U.S., while maintaining a very high ROAS for the first three weeks of December. The PLA format appeared much less prone to the weekly fluctuations observed from the overall holiday numbers including paid search text ads. Some of the other key U.S. insights presented in the report include:
- Thanksgiving Day saw the highest average order value, topping $150, as consumers loaded up their shopping carts.
- The days after Christmas and Thanksgiving are big spending days for consumers.
- Cyber Monday delivered the biggest increases in YoY clicks and ad spend reflecting heightened consumer interest and search marketing activity.
- Consumers are marking their calendars for Free Shipping Day as impression volumes jump 75 percent YoY.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV