NEW YORK, Jan. 10, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Mortgage rates reached the highest level since September, with the benchmark 30-year fixed mortgage rate jumping to 3.67 percent this week, according to Bankrate.com's weekly national survey. The average 30-year fixed mortgage has an average of 0.32 discount and origination points.
To see mortgage rates in your area, go to http://www.bankrate.com/funnel/mortgages/.
The average 15-year fixed mortgage rate was modestly higher to 2.92 percent and the larger jumbo 30-year mortgage increased to 4.10 percent. Adjustable rate mortgages inched higher, with the popular 5-year ARM nosing up to 2.77 percent and the 7-year ARM ticking higher to 2.93 percent.All the euphoria in the immediate aftermath of the fiscal cliff deal seems bound to give way to renewed concerns as we draw closer to the debt ceiling deadline. With a contentious debate expected on raising the debt ceiling and much wrangling over spending cuts, the nervousness and uncertainty that is sure to develop will likely help bring bond yields and mortgage rates lower during the first quarter of this year. Mortgage rates are closely related to yields on long-term government bonds. The last time mortgage rates were above 5 percent was Apr. 2011. At the time, the average 30-year fixed rate was 5.07 percent, meaning a $200,000 loan would have carried a monthly payment of $1,082.22. With the average rate now 3.67 percent, the monthly payment for the same size loan would be $917.18, a difference of $165 per month for anyone refinancing now. SURVEY RESULTS 30-year fixed: 3.67% -- up from 3.58% last week (avg. points: 0.32)15-year fixed: 2.92% -- up from 2.88% last week (avg. points: 0.26)5/1 ARM: 2.77% -- up from 2.76% last week (avg. points: 0.30)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV