Unemployment In Greece Reaches Record Highs
The impact was underscored by new statistics released Thursday showing unemployment reached a stunning 26.8 percent in October.
The Statistical Authority said the unemployment rate increased from 26.2 percent in September 2012 and 19.7 percent of October 2011.
Young Greeks are the worst affected, with 56.6 percent of those aged between 15 and 24 out of work.
Also Thursday, Socialist lawmaker Christos Aidonis quit the coalition government and declared himself an independent, protesting at the lack of action taken to investigate people on a list of Greeks with Swiss banks accounts for potential tax fraud.His move reduces the number of lawmakers backing the government in the 300-member parliament to 163. It also means that continued support from all three parties in the coalition â¿¿ ND, Socialist PASOK and Democratic Left â¿¿ is now required to keep the government afloat. Former Socialist Finance Minister George Papaconstantinou is facing a parliamentary investigation into his handling of the list of 2,000 Greeks who held accounts at HSBC bank in Switzerland until 2007. The list was drawn from data on 24,000 customers reportedly stolen from the bank. Prosecutors said the names of three of Papaconstantinou's relatives had been illegally removed from the list of Greek account holders.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV