Tavis Smiley Envisions A Future Without Poverty
Next Thursday, January 17, Newt Gingrich, CBC Chair Rep. Marcia L. Fudge (D-OH), Michael Moore, Jeffrey Sachs, Cornel West and others invited to discuss a 'Vision for a New America'
WASHINGTON, Jan. 10, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Just days before the presidential inauguration and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday, broadcaster Tavis Smiley is bringing together a bipartisan dream team to discuss the creation of a national plan to cut poverty in half in 10 years and eradicate it in 25. With the call for a national White House Conference on the Eradication of Poverty in America, Smiley and the panelists ask for a laser-like focus on the lives of 50 million Americans living in poverty on the brink of despair.
During this nationally televised conversation, " Vision for a New America: A Future Without Poverty," panelists will also discuss proven solutions on how government officials can contain the wildfire of American poverty and will sign, together on stage, the online petition calling for the White House Conference. " Vision for a New America" begins 6:30 p.m., Thursday, January 17, 2013, at George Washington University, Lisner Auditorium, 730 21st St. NW, Washington, D.C. The event, sponsored in part by the Marguerite Casey Foundation and Opportunity Finance Network, is free and open to the public. Doors open at 5 p.m., and advance registration is required at www.afuturewithoutpoverty.com.
"America is teetering on cliffs and bumping against ceilings," says Smiley. "This is no way to run a country. Together, we can devise a plan of attack to fight poverty in America. Ignoring this moral issue is an abomination."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV