"Microsoft's Xbox 720 will be a game changer with its Kinect and other features," is how Cris Frangold caught the sentiment in a post for the investment blog Seeking Alpha called Microsoft's New Money Gun.
The buzz says the new, upgraded Xbox will almost certainly have gaudy, PC-like features, such as 8GB of RAM, eventual support for augmented-reality glasses and powerful use of gesture control as part of its successful Kinect motion-capture system.
A Microsoft representative declined to comment on specifics of how Windows 8 will work with the various emerging Xbox platforms, but Forte worries that Microsoft intends to bash its hard-to-learn Windows 8 Metro tile environment into the Xbox.
"It seems to me they are trying to synchronize Windows 8 across everything," he said. "I cannot tell you enough how ridiculous it is to me that they would bring this to the Xbox."What does he think young gamers will do if that happens? "They will drop it," he said. "Instantly." Forte explained that the gaming community is not like Microsoft's others customers, who are, in a sense, forced to migrate to Windows 8. There is no brand loyalty in the under-35-year-old gamer community. "If you change even the slightest thing, and I am talking about like what kind of powers a character has, gamers revolt," Forte said. The way Forte sees it, Microsoft's long-fought gaming dominance over Sony and Nintendo could disappear essentially instantly. He believes kids would make a point of sticking with the traditional Xbox or going to another platform rather than messing with a hard-to-use Windows 8 Xbox. "They'll just send their new Xbox back," he said. "It could be a disaster."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV