Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced a $43 million investment to build its fourth International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data center, TY4, in Ōtemachi, Tokyo. The new facility will meet strong demand for Equinix’s premium data center services in the Ōtemachi area and provide customers with a broad choice of network connectivity options for their business.
Highlights / Key Facts
- The new TY4 IBX data center will be launched in two phases, providing total capacity of 750 cabinet equivalents. The first phase, scheduled to open in the third quarter of 2013, will offer initial capacity of 450 cabinet equivalents. TY4 will have direct fiber connectivity to Equinix's three other IBX data centers in the city, which will further facilitate customer interconnections.
- Japan is experiencing high demand for data center services. According to research by International Data Corporation (IDC), the data center outsourcing market in Japan will reach a size of 1.4 trillion yen (US$20 billion) in 2015. The market will have a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 8.6 percent between 2010 and 2015. In addition, the colocation market in Japan will have a CAGR of 4.2 percent in the same period of time, reaching 742.6 billion yen (US$9.26 billion) in 2015.
- Ōtemachi is an international financial center and the Internet Exchange hub in Japan, with 90 percent of Internet traffic being exchanged in the area. More than 4,000 large enterprises and financial firms are headquartered in Ōtemachi, with approximately 10 percent listed on the First Section of the Tokyo Stock Exchange. With limited real estate options, Equinix enlisted the help of Mitsubishi Estate, one of the leading real estate developers in Japan to assist in finding an ideal location for TY4.
- Strategically located in the heart of Tokyo’s business district, Equinix will offer its customers the ability to connect to an established ecosystem of existing and potential customers and partners; provide financial companies with close proximity to the major financial exchanges in the Japanese capital; enable Internet Service Providers (ISPs) and content providers to reduce IP transit costs and improve end user experience for their customers via Equinix’s Internet Exchange.
- By leveraging Platform Equinix ™ and its rich ecosystem, current and prospective customers can quickly expand their businesses to new markets, such as Japan, with the assurance of receiving the same level of service quality and performance.
- Kei Furuta , managing director, Equinix Japan K.K.:“Tokyo is a strategic market for Equinix as it is one of the largest data center markets worldwide and a primary gateway for traffic from the U.S. to Asia. We believe our expanded presence in Japan will give our customers greater access to global network connectivity and capitalize on the opportunities presented by the Japanese market. We would like to thank Mitsubishi Estate for its support in securing ‘Otemachi Financial City’ for our TY4 data center.”
- Tetsuo Yuasa, executive officer, general manager, Office Leasing and Tenant Relations Department, Mitsubishi Estate Co., LTD:“Over the years, we have been striving to make the Marunouchi and Ōtemachi area a world-class business district by leading a significant redevelopment project. Otemachi Financial City opened in October of this year as the international business core, including financial services. We are enormously pleased to help Equinix establish its premium data center extending its global footprint, which we believe will help foster the information communication development of the city and Japan as a whole.”