In late Monday morning press releases, Citigroup and US Bancorp (USB) said the foreclosure review will shave off $305 million and $80 million in fourth quarter earnings, respectively, as a result of the cash component of the settlement.
Citigroup will contribute a further $500 million and US Bancorp $128 million to mortgage assistance and loan modifications as part of the non-cash component of the settlement, they added in Monday morning press releases listed on their websites.
After the market close on Monday, Wells Fargo quantified the costs of the settlement to investors.
Wells Fargo said it will pay $766 million for the cash portion of the settlement, in a move that will create a $644 million charge to the company's fourth quarter earnings due on Friday. Wells Fargo added in the statement sent after the market close it will also commit a further $1.2 billion to foreclosure prevention actions, which the lender said has already been provisioned for."We are pleased that the regulators and servicers came together to reach this settlement, which will bring resolution to more borrowers in an expedited manner," Mike Heid, president of Wells Fargo Home Mortgage, said in an e-mailed statement. Metlife (MET) said in an emailed statement sent to TheStreet that it will take a $37 million pre-tax hit to earnings it characterized as "not material to the company." "MetLife has been fully cooperating with the OCC look back process and has agreed to join the settlement with the major banks. MetLife's portion of the $8.5 billion settlement is $37 million pre-tax and is not material to the company," John Calagna, a MetLife spokesperson, said in an e-mailed statement.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV