My own limited market research here -- OK, I asked my daughter and my niece -- is that kids are buying them both for the quality of the sound and for that modest, musical-looking "b" on the side, Dre's imprimatur.
Beats have problems. Reviewers have noted the cords break and the other materials appear to be a little cheap, plus the balance of the sound isn't always to individual tastes. If you searched, you could probably find headphones more to your liking for less money.
But on the whole, Beats have earned a solid reputation as a reliable brand with better-than-average sound quality that is cool to wear -- to be seen wearing. Quality and fashion feed into each other.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV