JUNO BEACH, Fla., Jan. 9, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Off the coast of St. Lucie County, divers and anglers can enjoy two new artificial reefs that were created through a donation of 130 concrete poles provided by Florida Power & Light Company (FPL). These new reefs, located east of Fort Pierce, are in addition to an artificial reef created in 2005 using FPL-donated material.
To view the multimedia assets associated with this release, please click http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/fpl-poles-create-two-reefs-off-of-st-lucie-county-186195132.html
In October 2012, FPL removed and replaced 130 concrete poles in Port St. Lucie with about 60 poles that are more storm-resilient. This project and a new substation are part of FPL's larger plans to enhance service reliability and reduce service interruptions in St. Lucie County.
"We are constantly making improvements to our infrastructure to ensure we maintain the highest level of service reliability to our customers," said FPL Environmental Project Manager Jackie Kingston. "While we are making these improvements, FPL ensures that we are also being good environmental stewards. This project allows us to benefit our customers and their energy needs and provide the greater community with two new artificial reefs at the same time."The donated poles, weighing a total of about 2,000 tons or the equivalent of 1,250 mid-sized cars, were transported to Harbour Pointe Park in Fort Pierce before they were submerged off the coast during four deployments in December 2012 and January 2013 to create the reefs. The coordinates for the two reefs, which are in about 60 feet of water and have already attracted fish, are:
- 27 degrees 23 minutes north latitude and 80 degrees 2 minutes west longitude; and
- 27 degrees 32 minutes north latitude and 80 degrees 11 minutes west longitude.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV