Saint Luke's Hospital Unveils Neuroscience Institute
Specific capital improvements include:
- Four dedicated state-of-the-art neurological operating rooms & 13 bed recovery unit. Operating rooms are equipped with the latest equipment for treatment of complex cases, including an O-Arm for minimally invasive spine procedures and a portable CereTom-CT scanner for deep brain stimulation treatment.
- Three neurointerventional suites with sophisticated biplane imaging systems
- Expanded epilepsy monitoring unit
- 18-bed Neuroscience Intensive Care Unit
- Sixty-eight private patient rooms
Saint Luke's Neuroscience Institute highlights:
- Stroke patients presenting at Saint Luke's Hospital are nearly 10 times more likely to receive a critical stroke intervention than the national average.
- Stroke patients who've received care from Saint Luke's neuro-rehabilitation and physical medicine team have an 80 percent chance of returning home to resume normal, productive lives. This is 14 percentage points higher than the national average.
- Saint Luke's Neuroscience Institute was the first facility to operate an adult Level 4 Comprehensive Epilepsy Center, the highest designation established by the National Association of Epilepsy Centers. The designation reflects the hospital's depth of services, including advanced, continuous EEG monitoring and surgical treatment of epilepsy.
- Saint Luke's Brain Tumor Center has the region's only fellowship trained neuro-oncologist on staff. It is also the only facility testing a novel vaccine for aggressive brain tumors.
- Saint Luke's is one of the only regional providers with an updated 3-Tesla MRI to produce the highest-quality imaging of brain tumors. Its Novalis shaped beam system can use these images to sculpt radiation around the precise contours of a tumor, delivering maximum cancer-killing X-rays while minimizing damage to healthy tissue.
- Saint Luke's Brain Fitness Center is one of the first in the country to combine the latest in neuro-targeted brain fitness technology with wellness guidelines, stress reduction, physical fitness, and diet. The "brain gym" helps those with cognitive dysfunction, from slight mental declines to severe limitations stemming from stroke, head trauma, brain tumor, or disease.
- Saint Luke's Midwest Ear Institute, which is affiliated with the Neuroscience Institute, is a pioneer in cochlear implant surgery and a nationally-recognized center of excellence. It participates in nearly all FDA clinical trials of cochlear implant devices, offering patients the latest advances in treatment.
- SLNI researchers are conducting the latest and most important clinical trials in Epilepsy, Alzheimer's Disease and Multiple Sclerosis. Stroke researchers are collaborating with Stanford and UCLA to discover the optimal imaging in acute stroke and the best way to communicate risk and benefit of acute stroke treatment.
For twenty years Saint Luke's has been at the forefront in the areas of stroke care and patient outcomes. SLNI has utilized revolutionary advances in treatment and created a groundbreaking model of stroke care by forming a comprehensive network of more than 80 hospitals in Kansas and Missouri and delivering patient outcomes that far exceed the national standards. Its pioneering work with the clot busting drug Tissue Plasminogen Activator or t-PA and mechanical clot-removal devices has garnered attention from the national media, policymakers, and physicians across the world. Today, Saint Luke's clinicians are testing the newest generation of clot removal devices, which can remove stroke-causing clots up to 80-90 percent of the time when patients present quickly for treatment.
The successful construction project was matched by very successful recruitment in neurosurgery in 2012. SLNI offers the full spectrum of elective and emergency neurosurgical procedures around the clock. The skilled group of five neurosurgeons includes specialists in skull base tumors and open neurovascular procedures, deep brain stimulation for patients with tremor and Parkinson's disease, surgical treatment for facial pain, epilepsy surgery, and minimally invasive spine procedures.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts